f

Fort banks winthrop ma

Fort banks winthrop ma

Back skip navigation search search search sign in play

“Fort Banks, named after Governor and Civil War General Nathaniel P. Banks, served as part of our coastal defense system from 1891 to 1965. Fearing attack from newly constructed battleships built during the Spanish-American War, the government installed sixteen mortars placed in four pits that could fire 12” shells in a 9-mile arc. Mortar Pit B, which was excavated, still exists. When Fort Banks was designated as the command center for Boston Harbor, it housed the Army’s 9th Coastal Artillery Regiment as well as a 250-bed hospital. This fort, along with nearby Ft. Heath, became radar centers for the North Atlantic Nike defense system in response to the nuclear threat in the 1950s.”

More police department are encrypting their scanners, raising

Fort Banks (2) (1889-1966) – An Endicott Period Coastal Fort first built in 1889 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts as Winthrop Military Reservation (1889-1898). Major General Nathaniel P. Banks, U.S. Volunteers, U.S. Civil War, 24th Governor of Massachusetts, and former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, was named Fort Banks in G.O. 134, 22 July 1899. Excessively declared on 31 January 1950 and deactivated on 30 September 1966.
One of the first Endicott Period forts to build and arm 12″ breech loading mortar batteries was Fort Banks. Battery Kellogg and Battery Lincoln were installed, and both were approved for service on September 2, 1896. Each battery had eight mortars, divided into two four-mortar pits. The only Endicott Period gun batteries on the post were these two mortar batteries.
Fort Banks began as a small two-company post, with construction beginning in 1899 and ending in 1900. Several pre-existing structures were used by the engineers before being converted into NCO quarters. 1899-1906, additional NCO quarters were built. In 1899 and 1900, two enlisted barracks were built, one in 1899 and the other in 1900. There were 109 men in each of these barracks. In 1900, four sets of officer quarters, three sets of duplex quarters, and the commanding officer’s quarters were built. From 1901 to 1903, the administration building, guardhouse, bakery, and hospital were constructed. The majority of the post buildings had been completed by 1906, and the addition of a PX and gym in 1907 marked the end of the first phase of permanent structures.

How to set up a beehive | ask this old house

The result? Accurate comparisons between colleges, school districts, and communities in the same (or different) areas, as well as between schools in different states.
It is well recognized that the standard of education offered by public schools differs significantly from one school district to the next, as well as from one city to the next. Furthermore, within any city or area, the standard of a child’s education can differ significantly from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Flounder fishing – boston harbor, ma

Divide the total number of students by the total number of full-time equivalent teachers to get the student/teacher ratio. Please keep in mind that a lower student-to-teacher ratio does not always imply a smaller class size. Schools occasionally employ part-time teachers, and some teachers are hired for specialized teaching with limited class sizes. The student-to-teacher ratio is influenced by these and other factors. Pre-Kindergarten may not be included of the student/teacher ratio in private schools.